[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Adi Stav adi at stav.org.il
Sun Jan 4 04:44:38 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:29:21PM -0700, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Civil time is solar time. The rate is the issue, not local offsets.

> Let's move past the fantasy that the ITU can redefine timescales willy-

> nilly to serve the requirements of a civilization of mole people, and

> rather address the actual requirements of our own civilization.

I'm trying to understand this position. I have a question.

If I understand correctly, you require that civil time is kept synchronized with mean solar time, and you also agree that UTC, which is synchronized to mean solar time with DUT of less than one second, complies with this requirement.

Then, what is the maximum DUT a time standard can have and still comply with this requirement? How is this maximum arrived at? Or, if compliance with the requirement cannot be decided in such terms, then in what terms can it be decided?