[LEAPSECS] Reliability

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Jan 4 22:58:29 EST 2009

Here's a notion I don't recall seeing before on the list:

Coordinate leap seconds with leap days. Introduce an integral number
of leap seconds each February 29th. Discuss.

Adi Stav wrote:

> Then why 4 seconds? Because they could be predicted a decade in

> advance? Isn't that putting the cart before the horses?

Yes, indeed. You asked a question. I provided a guess. Personally,
I think the current standard is better than allowing celestial
coordinates to slosh around by an arcminute, but it is not the
astronomers here who have refused to dicker.

> If I reckon correctly, people on this list specified 20 or 60

> minutes as their guesses for the limit

Some people said such things. Why lend them greater weight than
alternate opinions?

Nobody has specified anything. Specifications relate to solution
space. We have yet to discover the requirements describing the
problem space. There is nothing to specify against.

> Clearly, you think DUT should be smaller. Why? For practical reasons

> of astronomy? For other reasons?

Yes and yes. A static geographic offset is different from introducing
a permanent bias in the rate. A zero-mean periodic variation as in
the equation of time is different from a permanent bias. Seasonal
step function jumps are different yet again.

Embargoing leap seconds (or their equivalent) for periods of decades
or centuries is the same as not making intercalary adjustments at
all. It will introduce a tilted quadratic bias in the solar rate.
The issue isn't about offsets at all, it is about preserving the
correct functional form of civil timekeeping.

We have heard numerous times that the Gregorian calendar is acceptable
because the schedule is predictable. But why is the Gregorian
calendar desirable?

It is desirable because it stabilizes the civil calendar against the
natural annual rhythms of life on Earth AND because it does so at a
fine enough resolution to permit smoothing across the decades and
centuries. When considering dates 400 years from now - or in colonial
America - we don't have to wonder whether April occurs before or after
the Vernal Equinox.

Well - except for the damage visited through the delayed Gregorian
intercalary adjustment made by the British. Why is there an English
butterfly called an "April Fritillary"? Because it emerges from its
chrysalis in March.

The clock is a subdivision of the calendar. It needs to be stabilized
against natural diurnal rhythms on Earth. And the resolution has to
be fine enough to permit useful smoothing.

Over what period of time? That is really the heart of this whole
discussion. The current UTC leap second policy is sufficient. What
is necessary?

We stabilize the calendar every 4 years. Why would it be considered
reasonable to forego stabilizing the clock for a thousand years?