[LEAPSECS] [time-nuts] Leap Quirks

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jan 5 02:46:54 EST 2009

Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Or replace Phoenix, Arizona with any other civil jurisdiction that

> is free of DST and adjust the time zone offset accordingly.

If you're looking for an Arizona-based standard, surely Sedona is the
benchmark :-)

http://www.lovesedona.com/01.htm

Regarding Arizona, the Navajo Nation in the NE corner does observe
DST. The Hopis, completely surrounded by the Navajos, do not observe
DST:

http://www.timegenie.com/_images/arizona-timezone-map.gif

Hawaii is the only state that does not observe DST at all. Kilauea is
busily manufacturing new territory free of the hegemony of this
blighted concept :-)

It is also remarkable that about one-fourth (12) of the U.S. states
are bisected by timezones:

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dst.htm

But since just over half the states don't adjoin a timezone boundary
with another state (I count 27), the statistics are actually more
remarkable - more than half of U.S. states near a timezone boundary
have chosen the awkward route of splitting their timekeeping needs.
(Statistics regarding national boundaries and provinces in other
countries would be interesting to compare.)

I would take this as evidence that people actually care about solar
time. Others might see this as proof of how flexible people are in
their conception of time. Really it argues that half the state
boundaries were put in the wrong places :-)