[LEAPSECS] [time-nuts] Leap Quirks

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jan 5 14:40:30 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> : I wonder why OS vendors don't ship ntpd preconfigured with a leapseconds

> : table that is updated as part of the OS's normal patching process. I hope

> : that would reduce the amount of manual maintenance required for stratum 1

> : servers and increase the reliability of NTP's leap second handling.

> Does ntpd actually use the leap seconds table in preference to what

> remote systems are telling it? I recall years ago trying to configure

> things and not being able to make this work reliably...

Dunno - the documentation isn't clear, and the implementation seems to
have changed in various ways over time. Part of the problem is that the
protocol's support for disseminating the full table is mixed up with the
autokey authentication mechanism, though the current documentation on the
website makes it look easier than the man pages on my oldish FreeBSD box.
See the "leapfile" option at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
TYNE DOGGER: EASTERLY 3 OR 4, VEERING WESTERLY 5 TO 7. MODERATE. RAIN LATER.