[LEAPSECS] it's WP7A week in Geneva

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Oct 4 08:34:06 EDT 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <4AC88906.30505 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:

>> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>> "most of the times" is simply not good enough.

>> Then you haven't understood the limits. GPS itself only works "most of

>> the times".

> The difference is, when GPS does not work, the receiver goes out of

> the way to be able to detect and report this.

That varies alot, depending on the receivers intended market. Some
brands has a tradition of doing this.

> Using a GPS-UTC delta from memory, before we have an updated value

> from the sats is just plain old bogusly wrong.

That is what you get when users promote a quick answer over a correct
answer. Alot of efforts have been spent on delivering quicker answers
after powerup. You can go the AGPS style and provide it with the
correction value. That will certainly aid in several senses.

If you required the receiver not to give an answer before it had full
data, you would get such a receiver.

Another method is simply not to listen to it the first 15 min of
providing solutions.

Cheers,
Magnus