[LEAPSECS] it's WP7A week in Geneva

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Sep 9 18:14:01 EDT 2009

> There will likely be a report on anything significant at the CGSIC

> meeting in Savannah the week after next

> <http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/cgsic/meetings/49thmeeting/49th_CGSIC_Meeting_Agenda.htm

> >.

> -- Richard Langley

It's impressive that civil GPS discussions reach back through so many
meetings. Any idea when the 1st CGSIC meeting was held? The last
five such meetings have been annual, but I'm not having much luck
clicking through the site for earlier info. GPS as a project dates
back to the mid-70's, right? With completion in the early 90's?
Presumably they met more frequently early on, but that still seems
like a lot of meetings (for just the civil sub-community) to squeeze in.

I'm sensitive (really) to the concerns expressed in the title of this
talk:

Why leap seconds are difficult to get right for an equipment vendor –
Sam Stein, Symmetricom, Inc.

but the system engineering question here is backwards. First,
discover the requirements. Second, figure out how to meet them. That
said, I hope the presentations will be posted online.