[LEAPSECS] ITU-R SG7 to consider UTC on October 4

ashtongj ashtongj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 13:54:49 EDT 2010

I observe that the [U.S.] International Telecommunications Advisory
Committee is part of the U.S. State department. The part of that
committee discussed below is known in full as International
Telecommunications Advisory Committee, Radiocommunications sector, Study
Group 7: Science services, Working Party 7A (ITAC-R Study Group 7 WP 7A)

(Source: http://www.state.gov/e/eeb/adcom/itac/index.htm and
https://www.ussg7.org/default.aspx)

I would speculate that the members of Congress who authorized the change
change in basis of U.S. time from mean solar time to UTC presumed that
it was a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo that could not perceived by
ordinary voters. If the leap second is dropped, the change will become
perceptible to ordinary voters, especially when there are several
seconds difference in the seconds field of legal time in the U.S.
compared to some other countries. When enough information about the
position of the U.S. WP 7A becomes available, it might be appropriate to
bring to the attention of members of Congress that an obscure portion of
a State Department committee is trying to change the meaning of the
language in legislation in a way that will be perceptible to voters.

Gerry Ashton