[LEAPSECS] ITU-R SG7 to consider UTC on October 4

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Aug 5 16:45:24 EDT 2010

On Thu 2010-08-05T16:29:17 -0400, ashtongj hath writ:

> On 2010-08-05 3:17 PM, Jonathan E. Hardis wrote:

> >The 15th Conference Generale des Poids et Mesures (the formal body

> >formed by the Treaty of the Meter) "strongly endorsed" the usage of UTC

> >as the basis of civil time among the signatory nations and throughout

> >the world.

The CGPM did so with the explicit recognition that UTC (with leap
seconds) provides mean solar time (in accord with the 1884
International Meridian Conference agreement about time).

http://www1.bipm.org/jsp/en/ViewCGPMResolution.jsp?CGPM=15&RES=5

> >What countries do you think are using UT1 (or another time scale with an

> >astronomical basis) for their legal time, and which would therefore

> >drift away from those using UTC?

Notably, Denmark. See here for other such complexities:

http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/epochtime.html

I'd be happy to learn of other such issues.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855