[LEAPSECS] ITU-R SG7 to consider UTC on October 4

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Aug 6 10:47:33 EDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 12:00 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <2E851E8C-2B4D-4898-8DA5-AA328EC6BB6A at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>> Our power may not be huge - but our cause is just.

> I don't think anybody doubt that, but so is the case of all the people who have to get computerized controls, networks and other technology to work.

This isn't a zero-sum game and you are asserting a false dichotomy. Few have more dependence on "computerized controls, networks and other technology" than astronomers. Astronomers are disproportionately eager users of many flavors of both atomic and solar timescales.

It is technically insipid to attempt to pretend that Universal Time is not mean solar time. By all means pursue timekeeping reform based on requirements derived from the real world. Astronomers on this list have demonstrated profligate willingness to entertain diverse options.