[LEAPSECS] New time scale name

ashtongj ashtongj at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 07:19:15 EDT 2010

If, for sake of discussion, we view TAI as correct, then according to HP
Application Note 1289, The Science of Timekeeping, D. W. Allen, N.
Ashby, and C. C. Hodge, the irregularities in the rotation of the earth
are at the level of 1.5 × 10^-9 (page 20). Frequency transfer using HF
radio broadcasts can be performed at the level of 10^-6 to 10^-8, and
with LF radio broadcasts, the level is 10^-10 to 10^-11 (pg. 73).
Currently, the FCC requires base stations for some public safety radios
to have a frequency stability of 1^10-7 (47 CFR section 90.213) which
radio technicians who do not necessarily have a university degree will
have to be able to verify compliance to this level. So we see everyday
needs and capabilities are bumping up against the fundamental frequency
stability of UT1 right now. One supposes the requirements will only
become tighter in the future. For several decades now, the frequency of
the radio broadcasts has agreed with the time ticks (or at least, that
is supposed to happen). If the ticks were instead providing UT1 while
the carrier frequency continued to be calibrated to the SI second, this
could cause widespread effects that have not been examined.

Gerry Ashton