[LEAPSECS] Leap Sec vs Y2K

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Dec 10 17:50:31 EST 2010

In message <1292020824.24370.43.camel at localhost>, Paul Sheer writes:

>> Pray tell what authority you have for this pronouncement ?

>I am totally confused where you got this idea that most of the worlds

>servers tick over in sync, [...]

Ahh, this "misconception" is probably based on the fact that you
never have heard about the "NTP" project ?

>Finally, because NTP can easily be spoofed, many admins explicitly

>DISABLE it fearing the consequence of one's server time suddenly reading

>1970-01-01 or something wierd.

Ohh, so you have heard of NTP, but have zero clue about how to
configure it correctly ?

Makes sense...

I pity your customers.

Poul-Henning

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe