[LEAPSECS] Leap Sec vs Y2K

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Dec 11 20:54:11 EST 2010

On Dec 11, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> ATC systems being unsynchronized means that planes crash; clearly a situation we want to avoid.

Presumably they do have layers on layers of error handling built in, as well as contingent procedures - perhaps even traditional sextant navigation relying on access to a timescale that approximates Greenwich Mean Time :-)

It is possible for brittle system design as well as sloppy timekeeping to both be undesirable...