[LEAPSECS] POSIX and C (Was: Re: ISO Influence)

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 08:39:51 EST 2010

Paul Sheer wrote:

>At this "late" stage in Unix software evolution the genie is out of the

>bottle.

The bottle needs repaired or replaced before the 2038 problem hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

I also recall that there was some Government legacy systems that were
to have a problem with dates much earlier than that, but don't recall
the details.
Social Security Mainframe sometime around 2024 is my very vague recollection.

Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> You are more than a decade out of date here.  This was in some C9X drafts,

> but was *removed* between N843 (1998-08-03) and N869 (1999-01-18).  It was

> never part of any actual standard version of ISO/IEC 9899.

Draft of ISO/IEC 9899:201x as of October 5th 2010:

There are far more languages than just C to worry about as well.
MUMPS, an obscure language used in the medical field, is one example
I'm familiar with,
that counts seconds since midnight.

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/System_time covers many languages.

--