[LEAPSECS] POSIX and C (Was: Re: ISO Influence)

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Dec 19 11:27:47 EST 2010

On Dec 19, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> Oh puh-lease. Rob rather thinks this is the responsibility of

>> those advocating a drastic change to an underlying standard.

> Right, and you are advocating changing the POSIX standard, so ?

You already provided a serviceable answer to that:

> My estimate is that if we get 10 years advance notice, we can eliminate

> 90-99% of the software from the review, because the current POSIX hack

> can be distributed preconfigured in operating systems.

...but the ITU proposal doesn't address POSIX either. This discussion is not and has never been about what Rob and Poul-Henning think. I'm absolutely convinced that we would have a grand old time over a beer should we ever meet at some conference (say a meeting to discuss the future of UTC).

Rather, there has only ever been one issue on the table for this mailing list - to swat away the absurdly deficient ITU proposal long enough to have an actual discussion on the issues. It would also help if those who are behind the proposal were amenable to participating in that discussion.