[LEAPSECS] POSIX and C (Was: Re: ISO Influence)

Jonathan E. Hardis jhardis at tcs.wap.org
Thu Dec 23 19:45:18 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Brian Garrett wrote:

> Also US research stations near the South Pole.

Interesting answer. According to a "highly authoritative
source" (Yahoo! ) http://ask.yahoo.com/20050302.html both poles
"officially" are at UTC (says who?), but the South Pole station
actually uses the time zone of Christchurch, New Zealand (UTC+12).
This source also says, "people who work at or near the poles don't
really live by UTC -- they often use the time zones of their nearest
coworkers."

You're on the right track, and may or may not be correct, but this is
not what I had in mind.

>>> And the answer would have been, during the time where POSIX was a

>>> government requirement: In all the computers.

Ugh! Since when do computer specs determine legal, civil time?

>> Or in USAF bases in the UK during the winter.

It's been reported here that legal, civil time in the UK is UT1 -- or
some other form of UT. In any event, military bases are subject to
military law, not necessarily civil law. That's not what I had in mind.

- Jonathan