[LEAPSECS] POSIX and C (Was: Re: ISO Influence)

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Dec 24 18:54:11 EST 2010

> De jure perhaps, even though GMT as such no longer exists since

> funding to maintain it was withdrawn decades ago. Nowadays GMT is

> for UK civil time purposes a de facto synonym of UTC. The government

> supports this new definition in many ways: by funding a primary

> frequency reference which feeds into UTC, the MSF broadcasts, the

> Greenwich atomic-clock powered NTP servers, the BBC pips.

BIS, or whatever 1 Victoria St is called this week, funds MSF. But
the read-across from what a government department funds and what is or
is not legal (in the sense of would be the outcome of a case) is
vague. My memory of talking to the guy that ran NTP and other
services within the BBC was that the BBC bought its own clocks to
provide the pips when they were no long made available (from ?NPL, ?
Herstmonceux, ??) and now synch their clocks to both GPS and NPL: but
what the BBC do isn't government policy in any sense. I'm not sure
what you mean by Greenwich NTP servers.

ian