[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds, precision time, and technical progress

Finkleman, Dave dfinkleman at agi.com
Sun Dec 26 12:33:04 EST 2010

This old newcomer learns much from these exchanges. I offer the
following observation.

Technology advances to exploit our ability to realize and measure time
precisely increases. Use of spectrum with frequency, time, and code
division multiplexing is an example. I realize that the time scale of
such applications need not have a uniform epoch in the distant past or
be tied to astronomical phenomena. Perhaps you can think of better
examples that do.

Therefore, it is broadly important that precise time accrual be
synchronized and coordinated. Astronomical phenomena are the most
fundamental vehicles for synchronization. They belong to no one. No
one can control them.

A thought during an introspective interlude.

Dave Finkleman
Senior Scientist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
7150 Campus Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Phone: 719-510-8282 or 719-321-4780
Fax: 719-573-9079

Discover CSSI data downloads, technical webinars, publications, and
outreach events at www.CenterForSpace.com.