[LEAPSECS] Ghosts of Leap-seconds past and future

Michael Deckers michael.deckers at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 11:27:26 EST 2010

On 2010-12-28 12:56, Richard B. Langley wrote:

> I have been asked to remind list members of the presentation by Ron

> Beard, the chairman of ITU-R Working Party 7A, at ION GNSS 2010. The

> PowerPoint slides can be downloaded from here:

> <http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/cgsicMeetings/50/%5B16%5DITU_Status_UTC_Revision_CGSIC_50th.pdf>.

> Here are the conclusions, summary, and actions from the presentation:

Thanks. What surprises me in that summary is not what it says
but what it does not mention. Two examples:

[a] While the summary mentions the "questions" circulated by the
Working Group, it does not state which changes really are
intended -- those of the US proposal at
[http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/cgsicMeetings
/50/%5B16%5DITU_Status_UTC_Revision_CGSIC_50th.pdf],
I assume.

[b] This proposal does not only change technicalities like
the maximal difference |UTC - UT|, but it changes several
other things (more important things, in my opinion). For
instance, it removes the
immediate availability of UT
from the goals of UTC dissemination. Was anybody asked
about this? Do most of the experts agree?

The US proposal contains provisions that only take effect
in several hundreds of years. In view of the current revision
cycle of ITU recommendations, this is absurd. I take this as
an indication that the US proposal has not even been subject to
a formal review by the ITU working group.

Michael Deckers.