[LEAPSECS] Skepticism

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Thu Dec 30 19:23:54 EST 2010

Actually, it is possible that "we" do get it.

You see, it is all very well to say what you are not advocating, but
factor in what you *are* advocating, combined with a good understanding
of how most computer systems currently work....

Then combine that with how difficult it is to migrate the world to a new
standard of any kind (say IPv4 to IPv6 migration)...

And you get to only one conclusion: which is -

without leap seconds these two times will drift apart *indefinately* and
there will no way to bring them back -

EVER.

You say a "later" discussion. This later discussion might be impossible
to have. It will be at least as difficult as the present discussion.

To take only 10 years to decide about something that is going to affect
us in 600 years time is absurd considering the small number of people
on both sides of the debate.

Why don't you wait until 2038 at least?

-paul