[LEAPSECS] A leap second proposal to consider -- LSEM

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Thu Nov 4 17:46:46 EDT 2010

Tom Van Baak wrote:

>Back when the understanding of the "universe" consisted little

>more than our solar system, and back before quartz or atomic

>clocks, this made sense. Now maybe it should be renamed ST

>for solar time, rather than UT for universal time.

Historically, we don't rename time scales in that manner. But if you are
going to rename, "ST" is inadequate. There is a recent near-renaming
that shows the way: the modern form of Sidereal Time is known as Earth
Rotation Angle. This name is accurate in some important ways: it's
specific to Earth, and it's not time at all but an angular measure.
So you want Solar-origin Earth Rotation Angle, or something like that.
(That sounds like it ought to refer to *apparent* solar time, and require
further decoration to refer to mean solar time.)

-zefram