[LEAPSECS] Cost: getting rid of GMT & discontinuing leap seconds

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Oct 24 17:53:11 EDT 2010

> Medicine production is another case: In continuous production

> setups, all materials have to be traceable to with second granualirity

> (FDA, EU and other regulations), which basically means that either

> nothing happens over the leap second (ie: maintenance shutdown) or

> everything in the factory has to cope correctly with leap seconds.

Does anybody care about the seconds? Does anybody ever check to verify that
the clocks are correct?

It might be handy as a unique-ID. (Similar to the way that silicon chips use
the year+week as a batch marker.)

Another place where seconds are important is the stock market. I don't know
the details. Obviously it doesn't matter what time scale they use as long as
everybody uses the same one. (and the legal paperwork says it's OK)

Most major stock exchanges are closed for New Years Day. I expect there are
some computerized systems that run 365x24. It might get interesting if a
leap second happened in June.