[LEAPSECS] UTC Redefinition Advanced

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 00:00:27 EDT 2010

Snipped some stuff.

This is the best definition of the problem I have seen for quite some time.

I thought I was firmly in the camp of keeping leap-seconds, but put this
way, it seems to me that I was staying within an error bound, and now
(taking Jonathan as an example), all that is being done is to increase the
error bound. And since everyone who really cares about solar/pulsar time
would have to be applying DUT1 now, the cost to them is ensuring that their
software (and processes) do not have variables that chuck out values of DUT1
greater than 1s. This _is_ a real cost, no doubt, but it seems less of a
problem than I assumed.

I am still opposed, in principle, to letting NTP time (for example) diverge
from The One True Cosmic Time; but my principles are cheap, and my
engineering work does not suffer under Jonathan's formulation.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208 http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane