[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Sep 2 14:36:36 EDT 2010

On Thu 2010-09-02T19:26:03 +0100, Ian Batten hath writ:

> It would be interesting to produce a list of countries where legal

> time is not UTC, to see what the divide would look like. Wikipedia

> claims Belgium, Canada and Eire: for extra fun, I bet most consumers

> of time signals in Belgium use DCF77 or TDF, which are clearly in UTC

> land, rather than MSF.

IANL, but based on a few documents I've seen

Canadian standard time is provincial, not federal.
Quebec adopted UTC on 2007-01-01, and the others have not.

Venezuela standard time is based on the Greenwich meridian,
whatever that means ...

If that issue were pressed to the courts it would be very interesting
to see the results of the cases in each country especially in the
light of the shifts of the longitude origin during the last 60 years,
the first 3 of which are here
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/BIHAR1968.JPG

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855