[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 45, Issue 1

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 3 13:49:29 EDT 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Rob Seaman wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

> > If you are syncing to what is now called "GMT" you are syncing to UTC

> > because they are now in practice exact synonyms.

> And this is precisely what the ITU is planning to break.

I'm not sure that's true. The only de jure definition of GMT is "civil
time in the UK in winter". The British government and its agencies
currently implement GMT as equivalent to UTC. If the ITU change the
definition of GMT, and if the British government continues to follow ITU
recommendations and to disregard the historical astronomical meaning of
GMT, then the equivalence will continue.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND: NORTH BACKING WEST OR NORTHWEST, 5 TO 7,