[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Sep 4 08:22:20 EDT 2010

In message: <FB1295B4-A884-4984-8A7A-CA46F9586952 at noao.edu>
Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> writes:

: On Sep 3, 2010, at 11:52 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

:

: > And I'd be pointing to those same discussions where actual practitioners discuss the difficulty in the phrase "just an issue of representation."

:

: I believe my boss expects me to actually practice in exchange for my

: salary :-)

The problem is that your expectation of what my boss wants differs
from what my boss wants. In general, development management doesn't
care about esoteric edge cases like leap seconds, and would rather
have developers spend the time on more important things.

: > There's both too much automation in leap seconds, and not enough. Nobody cares enough to solve the whole problem

:

: And right now I'll do the one thing that seems to drive people

: craziest - suggest that system engineering best practices be

: followed to first understand the whole problem - before pursuing a

: solution actually responsive to the requirements. (What a concept!)

Again, you are missing the point: Your engineering solution isn't what
is driving software development. The engineering trade offs you'd
make are different than the ones others would make. It is rare that
you account for absolutely everything in the design, and leap seconds
are often sacrificed to make the job fit within the cost constraints
in place.

: > I've said many times: leap seconds happen to unpredictably to be on the radar of most people.

: >

: > If they were on a regular schedule, where on the average we tried for a |DUT1| < 10s, (or 5s or whatever) we'd have a better chance of getting them right.

:

: And folks on this side of the aisle have expressed willingness to

: explore these possibilities. Such options were mentioned in the

: ancient Dead Sea Scrolls - er, GPS World article. Why then has the

: only option entertained by "the deciders" been to kill leap seconds

: dead, dead, dead?

I don't know. But I have no control over what other people entertain
as thoughts.

: > Sadly, there's no serious discussion of this middle ground outside of this list.

:

: So shouldn't we attempt to expand the discussion? Getting the original archives back online would be a good start...and then look into organizing a meeting to engage with key stakeholders - many of who will have never even heard of the ITU proposal (or the ITU for that matter).

:

: > Of course, it would be cheaper for the software folks to never have to worry about it again.

:

: There's that assumption again - leap seconds are deadly, but

: absolutely nothing bad can come from redefining every single clock

: on the planet.

That would be an argument against leap seconds too. When they were
introduced, they obsoleted all mechanical clocks because none of them
can handle leap seconds. Even today, the number of clocks that can
handle them is vanishingly small.

Warner