[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Sep 5 11:25:31 EDT 2010

On Sun 2010-09-05T10:45:23 -0400, Joe Gwinn hath writ:

> This was the POSIX folks' way of telling the time folk to please

> settle their nasty little war elsewhere.

Thanks Joe.

At the open US SG7 meeting I noted that the ITU-R might end up
rejecting the current draft revision of TF.460, not on the technical
ground contained in the 4 questions from the SG7 chair, but for the
reason of not changing the name from UTC. I pointed out that the name
change raises other technical questions which have not been asked.
The response was "Many questipns have not been asked."

So I'll ask a few of the folks here.

Where in the POSIX structure would it make sense to ask the technical
questions which arise if the draft revision were to specify a new name
for the broadcast time scale, thus pretty much demanding that the
underlying POSIX time scale follow not UTC by name, but that new scale,
and basically turning UTC into a timezone?

In the social structure of the POSIX community is it likely that such
a technical question could get suitable attention prior to an openly
available draft of TF.460 suggesting that outcome?

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855