[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Sep 6 10:16:12 EDT 2010

On Mon 2010-09-06T10:50:55 +0100, Tony Finch hath writ:

> There is a lot of software that depends on the simple arithmetic

> relationship between time_t and broken-down zulu time.

So another of the questions that has not been asked is a detailed
survey of such applications in the context of having broadcasts become
the Torino-styled "TI" and "UTC" become a timezone. They should
classify into

1) Would prefer to stay on the "atomic-not-civil day" schedule in step
with the putative atomic broadcasts.

2) Don't really care one way or another, at least for the first few
seconds of deviation between the two time scales.

3) Must stay on the "civil-not-atomic day" schedule in step with
putative leap seconds in the zoneinfo files.

The spectrum of such applications is so broad that only a wide-flung
survey could begin to answer this, but I also suspect that the number
which fail catastrophically in the first few seconds of deviation
is small.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855