[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Mon Sep 6 11:52:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, September 6, 2010 15:28, Steve Allen wrote:

> On Mon 2010-09-06T05:33:27 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:

> [regarding changes in the schedule of daylight/summer time]

> Part of this could be explained as "war is hell", and part as

> "what do you expect from colonies established by transported prisoners",

> but I think there are a lot of other uncivilized examples.

Were some subset of the countries of the United Kingdom to decide to move
to CET, it would presumably be done by dropping the October move from +1
to 0 or by moving straight from 0 to +2 in March. The latter might be
seen as more palatable, as a summer on +2 is a "soft launch" compared to a
winter on +1. Whichever, I think the chances of it being done with five
years' notice are low: once passed, a government will want to reap the
political benefits itself.

ian