[LEAPSECS] Coming of age in the solar system

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Mon Sep 6 14:31:44 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 16:39 -0700, Rob Seaman wrote:

> And there is the unstated assumption again, that not only

> could nothing bad possibly happen if leap seconds are

> ceased and DUT1 (implicit or explicit) grows without

> bound - but that nothing in our vastly complex social

> and technological fabric could conceivably depend on

> or benefit from mean solar time.

Superbly put.

We can *never* go back once this bound grows.

If there is even a remote chance that people 100 years from
now might think it was a bad decision, it's every reason to
delay the decision as long as possible.

It's would not overly philosophical to say that humanity's
scientific endeavours are just in their infancy; messing
with stuff like this is pure arrogance.

-paul