[LEAPSECS] remind NIST of Project GREAT

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Sep 28 09:27:45 EDT 2010

On Sep 25, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Steve Allen wrote:

> The new chronometer at NIST is cool, but the physics is something that our e-mail list host and his kids demonstrated 5 years ago (not to mention Adams, Pound, Rebka, ...)

> http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-relativity-20100925,0,7205568.story

Very cool. Remarkable how the media still haven't figured out the nature of hypertext. The paper in question is:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/329/5999/1630

No preprint that I've found. Didn't see anything on slashdot (but haven't looked very hard). Apparently also missed this on "Science Friday":

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201009241

To the extent that the Times piece is about engaging the imaginations of the public ("This [makes] science resonate with regular people"), as Steve says, an experiment that kids can do for their science fair has a larger "cross-section". Having to make a trip with your dad into the mountains for the purpose is a feature, not a bug :-)