[LEAPSECS] Metrologia on time

cook michael michael.cook at sfr.fr
Thu Aug 4 15:03:14 EDT 2011

Le 04/08/2011 18:16, Rob Seaman a écrit :

<snip>

> The only votes that count are the member states of the ITU-R.

Yes, and this is may be rather disquieting. The organisation has 192
member states, but I am having trouble with locating voting stats for TF
460-6. The prime mover for the new UTC definition is the US and if my
senses are not too dulled I would say that the primary reason is money.
Could they buy enough votes to pass their rag as do the Japanese in the
International Whaling Commission?

> Redefining UTC and contingent changes will directly or indirectly impact 7 billion people. Why would the ITU-R seek to "play it" anything other than safe? It is the ITU that will be left holding the bag, none of the other alphabet soup of organizations.

See above...

Does anyone have a source for the votes on ITU resolutions?