[LEAPSECS] MST Users: separate list or not?

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Sat Aug 6 11:59:47 EDT 2011

Hello again,

In my previous post announcing my first draft of the UTR timescale I
have mentioned the possibility of there being a need for a new Mean
Solar Time Users mailing list to be created. What I'm seeking here is
input on whether that topic indeed warrants its own separate mailing
list, or if it should be discussed on this list.

As I understand it (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the
intended discussion topics for this list are:

* Arguments for and against the merits of atomic time and mean solar
time;
* Arguments as to whether or not civil time should be tied to mean
solar time;
* Arguments as to which agency should have jurisdiction over which piece
of the global timekeeping arrangement;
* Arguments as to what the broadcast time scale should be like and what
it should be called;
* Arguments as to what should happen to UTC;
* Arguments for and against the cessation of leap seconds in UTC: given
that the ITU member-states will be voting on this one, I presume that
the discussions/arguments are an attempt to sway those votes.

OTOH, the MST Users mailing list would be a forum for those people who
are faced with a non-negotiable requirement of using MST (regardless of
whether that argument comes from technical considerations, philosophy or
religion) to make and discuss non-UTC-based contingency plans in the
event that the powers that be decide against us and UTC ceases to
satisfy our requirements.

So what's the opinion of other leapsecs members: a separate MST Users
list, or part of this one?

MS