[LEAPSECS] Computer Network Time Synchronization, 2nd Ed.

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Dec 7 11:47:06 EST 2011

On Dec 7, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I focused on the UT1, because UTC could _conceiveably_ have relevance,

I'm glad you recognize that UTC could have relevance. Recognition is the first step.

> whereas there is absolutely no way UT1 can come into play as a distinct

> timescale from UTC.

Unless of course the ITU ensures this by making UTC the equivalent of TAI. You may (currently) think such a timescale sufficient for all your needs. I know that actual Universal Time will still be required by my projects:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.0067

It is the proposal coming before the ITU that is insisting that UT1 "come into play as a distinct timescale from UTC".

> My son was born on march 31 in California on Mount Diablo Hospital.

> But at the time it was April 1st in Denmark.

Some might think April 1st comes disproportionately frequently in Denmark :-)

Congratulations, BTW!

> Birthdays simply don't have timezone inforation attached to them,

> end of story.

But you did it yourself. Birth certificates list both time and place.

> Consequently, if anybody claims that UT1 as distinct from UTC has

> any relevance for birthcertificates, I want to see the proof, because

> the claim is entirely nonsensical and counter intuitive in every way.

Like I said: "I continue to appreciate the opportunity to look into unexplored corners of human social systems that this list so uniquely provides." And as Dave Mills said right before the single phrase you are desperately focusing on: "However, there is no escaping that synchronization with conventional human activities requires UTC..."

And like I said: "As far as making words fit, I note that you yourself chose to focus on just one sentence in the middle of the five sentence paragraph I quoted." You're the one going on about UT1 instead of UTC. The passage I quoted mentions UTC three times and UT1 once.

And like Mills said: "In the end, it seems prudent that the computer clock runs in UTC with leap insertions as described."

The "Imprudent Timekeepers" - great name for a band!