[LEAPSECS] tinkering with time ?

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Tue Feb 1 00:10:12 EST 2011

On Mon 2011/01/31 10:38:33 PDT, Warner Losh wrote
in a message to: leapsecs at leapsecond.com

>Keep in mind that the time scales involved for such a drift are measured

>in centuries. Also, the rate at which the earth is slowing is

>geometrically increasing, so we have the coming quadratic collapse of

>the whole leap second solution looming on the horizon well before we

>accumulate more than a couple hours of offset.

In the very distant future when the mean solar day is 86401 SI
seconds long (or hopefully well before that), the pretence that
the day is only 86400 SI seconds long, with its reductio ad
absurdum result of a leap-second-per-day, should hopefully cause
a re-examination of this convenient untruth.

However, it is a very distant horizon.

Regards,
Mark Calabretta