[LEAPSECS] Meeting with Wayne Whyte

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Tue Feb 1 19:00:40 EST 2011

On Tue 2011/02/01 10:59:26 -0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote
in a message to: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

>> The fundamental problem is that there is no formula for determining

>> when leap seconds occur.

>No, the rules for inserting leap seconds are simple enough in

>computation terms. The problem is entirely with the 23:59:60 notation

>being unacceptable to the API design.

Without wishing to downplay the problems you are having with the
Java API, the 23:59:60 notation cannot be said to be a fundamental
problem with UTC itself in the sense I intended. After all, you
have designed the API for classes that do handle UTC properly.

In the same vein, representing UTC in Julian Date form is a
problem, but not fundamental in any sense. The API of the SOFA
library shows one way of handling it - http://www.iausofa.org/ .
Representing the 61st second on an analogue clock face is another
problem, again not fundamental - solutions can be found.

Regards,
Mark Calabretta