[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 51, Issue 7

Finkleman, Dave dfinkleman at agi.com
Wed Feb 2 10:33:55 EST 2011

The consensus list of facts is an excellent idea. I wish the US could
do this with health care: implement what everyone can agree with and
debate the rest instead of holding everything hostage to winning a minor
point.

I suggest that the terms second, minute, hour, day, and month stated
without qualification have "normative" status: the SI second, 60 SI
seconds, 3600 SI seconds, 86,400 SI seconds, and Gregorian calendar
numbers of days expressed as 86,400 seconds.

Anything else requires qualification such as: mean solar seconds.
Actually I can't think of other forms of hour, day, etc. that require
qualification, since those are neither fundamental time intervals nor
time scales.

An initial thought for discussion.

Dave Finkleman
Senior Scientist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
7150 Campus Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Phone: 719-510-8282 or 719-321-4780
Fax: 719-573-9079

Discover CSSI data downloads, technical webinars, publications, and
outreach events at www.CenterForSpace.com.