[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 51, Issue 7

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Feb 3 15:15:38 EST 2011

On 02/03/2011 03:15, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Warner Losh wrote:

>> Perhaps even an extension to ntp and 1588 to allow this information to

>> ride along in those protocols.

> I think that because UT1 is such a niche timescale, and because DUT1 is

> calculated and updated relatively infrequently, that it would be simpler

> to leave NTP and 1588 alone and specify an out-of band way to fetch a DUT1

> table from a web server.

Sure, we can quibble about the details. I thought that since ntp/1588
are used in places that might not have access to the wider internet it
would make sense to allow (but not require) them to distribute this
information when used in environments that need this information more
readily than saying 'goto http://usno.navy.gov/dut1.dat for the latest'.

Warner