[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 51, Issue 23

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 10:16:25 EST 2011

On 2/8/2011 9:51 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Gerard Ashton said:

>> A secular change to civil time that would be perceptible without the aid

>> of a clock has

>> never been introduced,

> How about those places that moved timezone permanently.

A single permanent time zone change is not a secular change; in this
context a secular change is
one that increases indefinitely, as opposed to a periodic change, in
which the positive and negative
changes cancel out in the long run.

As for "actually, without a clock, how would you *ever* know that civil
time had changed?", if I am
accustomed to calling the time when the sun seems highest in the sky "12
hours", and I notice that
suddenly everyone starts calling the time when the sun seems highest in
the sky "9 hours" I will
certainly notice. Similarly, If I go to the next state to eat dinner and
notice most of the restaurants
have closed, I will suspect something funny is going on with the time.

Gerry Ashton