[LEAPSECS] Cast adrift

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Feb 8 10:39:14 EST 2011

Tony Finch wrote:

> One example of an existing secular change of local time might be the

> tectonic drift of Hawaii, but since it moves about 1m east every decade

> the effect is about three orders of magnitude less than the TAI vs. UT1

> rate error.

Since Hawaii is in the middle of a plate, not just the middle of the ocean, there are few neighbors to worry about. A more apposite example might be locales on either side of the mid-Atlantic rift - neighbors who are rushing apart in geological terms. I suspect that we could all reach consensus that if some nation is physically transported into a different timezone that it is appropriate for their clocks to reflect this fact :-)