[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 12:05:26 EST 2011

Sovereign states have some degree of control over civil time; the
remaining control is
in the control of individuals, either through personal whims or
voluntary collective
action. The IAU, ITU, BIPM, ISO, and all the rest do not have control
over civil timekeeping
because the weights and measures inspectors who enforce measurement laws do
not take orders from them, they take orders from the sovereign state
that employs them.

Gerry Ashton