[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Feb 8 16:39:40 EST 2011

In message <20110208202941.GG1479 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

>Most governments of the world are signatories to agreements which

>state that Universal Time is a subdivision of the mean solar day which

>ultimately produces the calendar.

What argrements are you thinking of ?

And is the averaging period defined in them ?

Otherwise simply picking a suitable averaging period, 1800-2100 for
instance, will fix that.

>the notion of time continues to deserve input from astronomical measurements.

I don't think notion of time "deserves" anything of the sort, time
seems to have managed just fine before the invention of astronomers :-)

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe