[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 9 03:43:49 EST 2011

In message <20110209025648.GB5917 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

>> Further evidence of this is that UN registers all internation

>> treaties its member states have entered into, in accordance with

>> the UN charters article 102, and you can see all of these treaties

>> at http://treaties.un.org

>In there I do not find the ITU-R's Radio Regulations, so perhaps the

>whole point of this mail list is moot, for we are not bound to follow

>them?

Uhm, you have not actually read the text of the proposal ?

All ITU-r *Recommendations* follow this form:

The ITU Radiocommunication assembly,

considering

bla. bla. bla.

recommends

bla. bla. bla.

The only difference being that a few luck of them, have the work
"unanimously" inserted before "recommends" after the vote.

>In there I also do not find Meter Convention, so perhaps the UN list

>is not comprehensive. The Meter Convention does say this

>http://www1.bipm.org/jsp/en/ViewCGPMResolution.jsp?CGPM=15&RES=5

Notice again the language:

"judges that this usage can be strongly endorsed"

Other hint: The Meter Convention has not been able to metrify USA yet.

QED: Governments are free to fuck up their timekeeping as they see fit.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe