[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 9 10:02:43 EST 2011

In message <AE1EE06F-17E5-46E2-ABC2-C0700CB1A1B1 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>I reserve the right to disagree. The point is that "dumb" is what

>the "rubber timezone" folks say - and rubber timezones are an order

>of magnitude more "dumb" than either rubber seconds or

>zoneinfo-for-leapseconds.

Says who ?

Rubber seconds made even interval measurement a tricky proposition,
globally.

Leaving civil time in the hands of governments is not only non-optional,
it also limits any damage that can be done geographically.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe