[LEAPSECS] one second tolerance

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Wed Feb 9 19:04:27 EST 2011

On Wed 2011/02/09 08:48:28 -0000, "Poul-Henning Kamp" wrote
in a message to: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

>>>during the autumn

>>>change, a hour is repeated. So as far as a clock ticking civil time is

>>>concerned, you have 0100 through 0200 twice, once a year. Events

>>>stamped 0130.01 and 0130.02 could be an hour and a second apart.

>In Denmark the law used to say that you have to suffix the timestamp

>with 'A' and 'B' during these two hours.

Bully for the Danish parliament for exhibiting a bit of nous.

>When we did automatic pumps at the oilcompany I worked at, we decided

>that we would just refund any complaint during those two ours and

>if that turned into abuse, we would just close the pumps for

>maintenance instead.

The oil company (was it BP by any chance?) apparently decided it
could cut corners at the service station. Hopefully it did not
adopt such a blasé attitude at the refinery or oil rig.

Regards,
Mark Calabretta