[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Sun Feb 13 19:29:02 EST 2011

On Fri 2011/02/11 15:33:01 -0000, "Clive D.W. Feather" wrote
in a message to: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

>I don't believe that's so. I might agree that people expect it to be within

>about 3 hours, but that's all.

Do people in western China work 9-to-5? If so, is it dark when they
get to work? Or do they work later hours? Are they happy about this
or do they just toe the party line?

>What's the problem with them moving on different dates? Um, beyond the

>problems we already have because they move on loads of different dates.

No intrinsic problem, just an extra level of chaos, made worse
possibly because it's a secular effect.

>> Currently the main chaotic element of timezones is concerned with

>> the start and end date of DST. The chaos is restricted to two

>> periods, sometime in autumn and spring, and it only amounts to one

>> hour to and fro.

>FX: laughter.

>As an example, last year Egypt had two separate sessions of DST.

How is this not be concerned with the "start and end date of DST"?

>> Leaping timezones, each "at their own pace", can only add an extra

>> level of chaos, one that will eventually lead to multi-hour offsets

>> that continue to grow over time.

>Why? Adjacent countries might move from a delta of an hour to zero and then

>back again, but why would one place move at a different *rate* (i.e. leaps

>per millenium) to another? In other words, how is this any more complex

>than Russia deciding not to end DST this year?

Not all countries/states/provinces implement daylight saving.
Anyway, the Australian provinces might stand their ground.

Regards,
Mark Calabretta