[LEAPSECS] What's the point?

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Tue Feb 15 07:21:55 EST 2011

Poul-Henning Kamp said:

>> Mean Solar Time = UT1 = GMT:

> So everybody using NTP and deriving GMT withut applying DUT are in

> breach of the law ?

They're simply getting it wrong. The law doesn't require the use of GMT
for everything; it just defines what legal time is.

If it came to a lawsuit over the exact time that something happened
relative to a statutory boundary, then such an NTP server would not be good
evidence. Compare Curtis v March [1858] 3 H&N 866.

> I bet more people would be surprised and in violation, than you will

> find in compliance...

> For one thing, all the Rugby receiving radio-controlled clocks do

> not apply the DUT bits...

If those clocks were being sold as "GMT clock" or "UK legal time clock",
then the seller would be in breach of the Sale of Goods Act. But I don't
believe they are; they're just sold as self-synchronizing to MSF.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org | it will get its revenge.