[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers (POSIX time)

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Feb 22 23:38:12 EST 2011

On Tue 2011-02-22T22:55:36 -0500, Keith Winstein hath writ:

> Finally, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to standardize on

> distributing GPS Composite Clock time as opposed to a realization of TAI

Neither do I. This is merely an example of a way that it is now
possible to run a system that provides correct local time without
requiring the kernel to do weird things during a leap second.

On Tue 2011-02-22T14:31:53 -0700, Warner Losh hath writ:

> Many systems have their internal clocks in TAI, but also have

> requirements to report time in UTC to users.

Given that the BIPM is adamantly opposed to the notion that
TAI be used in this way and thus there is no scheme for
distributing TAI, how exactly are these systems getting
TAI? For that matter, what are these systems?

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855