[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers (POSIX time)

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Wed Feb 23 05:57:36 EST 2011

> Having a known list of leap seconds let one recover TAI time from a cold GPS receiver in a few seconds to a minute, rather than waiting ~20 minutes for the almanac to download.

You may operate on computers on which adding 19 is a hard problems, but most of us can manage it in our heads. "GPS Time" is TAI-19. Recovering UTC is a harder problem, although I'm not sure I buy your scenarios as being ones that the rest of us need to worry about (operating Loran stations as a reason to hold the rest of us to ransom?)

And given how cheap GPS receivers are, why not operate a warm spare as well as a cold spare?

ian