[LEAPSECS] Crunching Bulletin B numbers (POSIX time)

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Wed Feb 23 07:57:33 EST 2011

For those who might not be aware. Loran-C in North America is dead. It
might be resurrected as eLoran or some other LF service in the future:
http://www.ursanav.com/sites/default/themes/danland/images/buzz/pdfs/LF-Solutions-for-APNT-ION2011.pdf

-- Richard

Quoting Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org>:

>> Nope. tried that when getting the spec approved. Approximate

>> times weren't allowed. UTC times were required. There was no way

>> to indicate approximate time in the user interfaces present (how do

>> you blink a 5071A anyway :). The other systems that interfaced to

>> ours had a fixed format, and required UTC and not approximate UTC

>> for a while and then a possible jump in time to actual UTC.

> Well, if the use-case is navigation (Loran, military) then UTC sans

> leap seconds isn't much use to you anyway, so the "solution" of

> dropping them would take your requirement with it, and you'd seen

> something closer to UT1. And of course, requirements are simply

> line items on an invoice, and if deriving immediate UTC costs 10X

> rather than X, the customer has to make a decision on whether

> they're prepared to pay for it. Just saying "my customer demands X

> and therefore the rest of you need to enable X" isn't realistic.

> ian

| Richard B. Langley E-mail: lang at unb.ca |

| Geodetic Research Laboratory Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/ |

| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering Phone: +1 506 453-5142 |

| University of New Brunswick Fax: +1 506 453-4943 |

| Fredericton, N.B., Canada E3B 5A3 |

| Fredericton? Where's that? See: http://www.fredericton.ca/ |