[LEAPSECS] Clarification and VM Synchronization

Finkleman, Dave dfinkleman at agi.com
Fri Jan 14 11:10:39 EST 2011

First, to clarify what I meant by UTC being inaccurate. IMO, UTC is
inaccurate as a measure of Earth rotation. It is precise in atomic
seconds, but it is inaccurate for astronomical purposes. Accuracy is
restored to a significant degree by DUT. It is precise to the degree
that contributing clocks can be synchronized (nanosecond level, or as
previous discussions conjecture, picosecond level). I am as usual
insecure about this, and I would appreciate either confirmation or a
more suitable alternative.

Second, I am now fascinated by the implications of lack of synch among
virtual machines or real networks of distributed computers. I watched
the YouTube video recommend in the previous thread. I do not understand
this any way near to the others on this group, but I need to convince
non-technical authorities that this matters. Any suggestions other than
a two by four with lots of momentum -- and maybe a protruding nail?

It is ironic that the shift in astrological signs made headlines this
morning while the significance of Earth rotation and orientation
parameters escapes notice.

Dave Finkleman
Senior Scientist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
7150 Campus Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Phone: 719-510-8282 or 719-321-4780
Fax: 719-573-9079

Discover CSSI data downloads, technical webinars, publications, and
outreach events at www.CenterForSpace.com.